Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Nefrologist

This evening I had my first visit with a nefrologist (kidney expert). He confirmed that I have a serious kidney problem and ordered more studies (ultrasound and immune system). He upped my dosage of losartan (Cozaar) and introduced a new medicine deflazacort (Calcort). 

A bit of research shows Calcort to be quite powerful, a steriod that supresses the body's own immune system (possibly desirable as possibly my kidneys are being attacked by my own immune system).  What I don't like is that once you go on it, you have to stay on it because the body stops producing its own immune response. Maybe I'm wrong but I feel that millions of years of evolution are better at looking after our bodies than one or two hundred years of medical science, so I'm not too happy about taking this drug.

No comments:

Post a Comment